Although the list at Windows Vista RC1 Antivirus Providers is for Vista RC1, it is a starting point to determine whether the antivirus software you use on your computer is compatible with Windows Vista. Of course it is expected that most of the major companies are working hard to get to that point.
Sophos has joined the growing list of antivirus software programs that are Vista-compatible and joins Avast, shown below.
From the Sophos website in "Sophos protects Microsoft Windows Vista":
Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista, version 6.5 includes:
- Protection against viruses, spyware, adware and PUAs
- Application control, which allows businesses to set their own policies regarding whether user groups are allowed to run software such as IM clients, VoIP, peer-to-peer file sharing and distributed computing projects
- Behavioral Genotype™ Protection to guard against unknown threats
- High performance scanning with Decision Caching
- Central management and update features, using Enterprise Console
- Automatic updates against the latest threats every 10 minutes
Customers using Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000/XP/2003, version 6.0 will be updated to support Vista automatically, without any user intervention.
"While other security vendors aren't happy with how Vista has implemented its increased security, Sophos has been working closely with Microsoft and fully supports new functionality, such as Kernel Patch Protection (also known as PatchGuard)" said Richard Jacobs, CTO at Sophos. "Sophos Anti-Virus running on Vista provides unprecedented protection."
Here is the information on Avast
"With the public release of RTM version of Windows Vista in November 2006, ALWIL Software anticipates massive deployment of this new platform, especially among home users. These users appreciate new features of Windows Vista such as the new Aero interface, enhanced support for mobile computing, and improved full-text search, and now, thanks to avast! antivirus, users can also be thoroughly protected against malicious threats.
Note: The minimum version of avast! Home/Professional Edition compatible with Windows Vista is 4.7.892."