Based on a post by dickw at LandzDown Forum, I learned that Microsoft has provided a hotfix for users who have installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 with an antivirus application still running during the installation, which could result in Device Manager not showing any devices and/or and Network Connections not showing any network connections.
The hotfix is available at Update for Windows XP (KB953979).
Before installing SP3, I recommend reviewing the following:
- Recommendations before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
- Update for Windows XP (KB953979 )
- Microsoft Knowledge Article KB 953979
- Microsoft repairs PCs crippled by XP SP3 update