As much a I would prefer that we stay on standard time, this is the weekend in the U.S. and Canada to Spring ahead.
Officially, at 2:00 AM on Sunday, March 8, 2009, is when the time will be moved forward by one hour. Not to worry, you will have an opportunity to catch up on that lost hour's sleep in the fall when the process is reversed and we return to Standard Time.
What do you need to do to prepare?
- If you are a regular Security Garden reader, your computer is up to date, with all patches applied, right? In that case, the time in your computer will be automatically adjusted. If not, see the December 2008 cumulative time zone update for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- In order to be on time for Church on Sunday and work on Monday, it would be a good idea to at least set your alarm clock ahead before going to bed Saturday evening.
- If you have cell phone or cable service, the cell phone and cable box time will be reset by the service. However, don't forget to adjust any VCR or DVD player connected to the television, particularly if you have programs scheduled for recording.
- A setting frequently forgotten, at least in the northeast, is the programmable thermostat.
- If you spend a fair amount of time on the road, don't forget to set your car clock ahead before you start off for the first appointment of the day.
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...