Oracle released Java SE Runtime Environment 8 for 32- and 64-bit Windows 8x, Windows 7 and Windows Vista as well as Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
The minimum memory requirements is 128 MB and require at minimum a Pentium 2 266 MHz processor. For Linux and Mac OS X, see Oracle JDK 8 and JRE 8 Certified System Configurations.
Java Version 8 is not compatible with Windows XP.
In the event you have software installed that requires Java, based on past history with Oracle Java version updates, it is recommended that you uninstall JRE 7 prior to updating.
- Download link: Java SE Runtime Environment 8 - Downloads
- Release Notes: Latest JDK 8 Release Notes
- Verify your version: http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
- UNcheck any pre-checked toolbar and/or software options presented with the update. They are not part of the software update and are completely optional.
- Starting with Java SE 7 Update 21 in April 2013, all Java Applets and Web Start Applications should be signed with a trusted certificate. It is not recommended to run untrusted/unsigned Certificates. See How to protect your computer against dangerous Java Applets
The next scheduled critical security updates for Java SE 7 are as follows:
- 15 April 2014
- 15 July 2014
- 14 October 2014
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...