- Avira AntiVir had replaced the Avira Personal Free edition notifier. It is no longer suggesting upgrading to Avira premium or the security suite. Instead, the notifier is advertising Uniblue "Registry Booster".
- Licensed users of Avira Premium are receiving e-mails advertising the same Uniblue "Registry Booster" product.
- The addition of a toolbar with the pre-checked option to include the Ask Toolbar (AntiVir WebGuard) and change the default search provider to Ask.
To add to the computer owner's confusion is that Uniblue proudly displays the Microsoft Partner logo. This gives the impression that the company has any close relationship with Microsoft. It is important to understand that there is no vetting to become a registered Microsoft partner. All it means to be a Microsoft Partner is that the company employs the requisite number of certified professionals and has completed the registration process, nothing more.
In my opinion, as well as that of many members of the security community, it is deplorable when a security vendor adds a pre-checked option to include an unnecessary add-on and change the user's preferences. A responsible security vendor should provide a clean installer, focusing on improving the product, fixing any bugs and continuing to improve the product.
If you are using Avira AntiVir antivirus software, I encourage you to read the articles listed in the references section below and decide for yourself if this is a product you wish to continue using.
There are still two recommended antivirus software programs that are free for personal use, avast! 6 Home Edition and Microsoft Security Essentials. My favorite licensed antivirus choice is ESET.
- AntiVir Personal for Windows Support Forum: [Off-topic] Uniblue scareware ads (hello Uniblue, goodbye Avira)
- AntiVir Premium and Avira Premium Security Suite Support Forum: [Off-topic] Registry Booster 2011 email from Avira
- Calendar Of Updates: AntiVir/Avira adds ask.com toolbar
- Complaints Board: UNIBLUE REGISTRY BOOSTER Complaints - Deceptive Advertising and Sales Practice