Oracle released the scheduled critical security updates for its Java SE Runtime Environment software.
This is a Critical Patch Update that contains 51 new security fixes for Oracle Java SE. Oracle indicated that fifty (50) of the Java SE vulnerabilities fixed in this Critical patch Update are remotely exploitable without authentication.
Additional details about the update are available in the Oracle Quality Assurance Blog post, referenced below. If Java is still installed on your computer, it is recommended that this update be applied as soon as possible due to the threat posed by a successful attack.
For those people who have desktop applications that require Java and cannot uninstall it, Java can now be disabled in Internet Explorer. See Microsoft Fix it to Disable Java in Internet Explorer.
Java Security Recommendations1) In the Java Control Panel, at minimum, set the security to high.
2) Keep Java disabled until needed. Uncheck the box "Enable Java content in the browser" in the Java Control Panel.
|(Image via Sophos Naked Security Blog)|
3) If you use Firefox, install NoScript and only allow Java on those sites where it is required.
Instructions on removing older (and less secure) versions of Java can be found at http://java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml
Download InformationDownload link: Java Version 7 Update 45
Verify your version: http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
- UNcheck any pre-checked toolbar and/or software options presented with the update. They are not part of the software update and are completely optional.
- Starting with Java SE 7 Update 21 in April 2013, all Java Applets and Web Start Applications should be signed with a trusted certificate. It is not recommended to run untrusted/unsigned Certificates. See How to protect your computer against dangerous Java Applets
Critical Patch UpdatesFor Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Updates, the next scheduled dates are as follows:
- 14 January 2014
- 15 April 2014
- 15 July 2014
- 14 October 2014
- Oracle Quality Assurance Blog: October 2013 Critical Patch Update Released
- Java SE 7 Update Release Notes
- Critical Patch Updates, Security Alerts and Third Party Bulletin
- Java, The Never-Ending Saga
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...