Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2013 - Microsoft MVP, Pay it Forward, #WWFD

MVP

How well I remember the January 2006 e-mail congratulating me on being presented with the Microsoft® MVP Award.  I knew that I had been nominated but, at the time, had no idea how the award cycle worked so the award came as a complete shock.

Recalling that first award, it arrived following a particularly difficult time in "real life", resulting in a sort of personal renewal to dig in and continue with renewed enthusiasm.

Once again, I have been faced with a troublesome time -- this an event that had a profound effect on our local community, the Christmas Eve shooting of four volunteer firefighters from the neighboring West Webster Fire District (#WWFD) when volunteer firefighters Mike (Chip) Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka lost their lives and Theodore Scardino and Joseph Hofstetter were seriously injured.

Since the Christmas Eve tragedy, one thing aside from the coming together of the "Brotherhood" that stood out was the support of people not only in the local community but also across the U.S. and Canada.  There was a resounding repetition locally and throughout the U.S. and Canada of unselfish occurrences of "Pay it forward" as people attempted to demonstrate appreciation to local and visiting firefighters, first responders, police and others in public service.  Hundreds upon hundreds of people volunteered their time to the community during this trying time.

What I continued to reflect on as the end of 2012 approached was not only those who volunteer in our community but also how many people volunteer time and expertise to help others in both life-threatening situations and in every day life.  I couldn't help but feel that I wasn't doing my part.

When I received the e-mail this morning recognizing my volunteer efforts in Consumer Security, helping people with infected computers, it slowly dawned on me.  Perhaps I am doing some good, freely helping others.

Although I don't put my life on the line, it is an incredible honor that my volunteer contributions have again been recognized by Microsoft® with the award as 2013 Microsoft MVP:
"Dear Corrine Chorney,

Congratulations! We are pleased to present you with the 2013 Microsoft® MVP Award! This award is given to exceptional technical community leaders who actively share their high quality, real world expertise with others. We appreciate your outstanding contributions in Consumer Security technical communities during the past year."
Let the heroes of West Webster and around the world, the "random acts of kindness" serve as inspiration and challenge to you to Pay it Forward in 2013, volunteering or helping others in some small way.

Home
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...


10 comments:

R-C said...

Corrine congrats for once again getting the MVP!!

You pay it forward every single day and help so many people, many that you don't even realize you have helped.
I and many others are thankful every day to see your name on the forums offering your generous and never ending help and support!
You definitely deserve the honor.

Corrine said...

Thank you so very much, R-C.

Happy New Year!

Maik said...

Congrats on the latest award. Keep doing good.

Anonymous said...

Well deserved. Congratulations. And yes, I do try to pay it forward every day. Blessings.

Unknown said...

I know very well how wonderful you are. It is grand that you are recognized from such an esteemed company. I hope, I hope, I hope (Red Skelton) you have time to sit down and feel special.

Ellie

Unknown said...

I wrote you a longer message to say congrats. However, it doesn't accept my proof that I am not a robot. Sigh..

Enjoy your accolades. What fun.

Ellie

Corrine said...

Thank you, Ellie and the anonymous commenter.

Unknown said...

Congratulations for the outstanding example of selfless giving of yourself to help others!

This year and every year since you were first awarded the MVP in 2006 has been greatly deserved.

Thank you for all you do, Corrine!

Unknown said...

I am very excited for you! You are a great inspiration Corrine!

Wasn't sure if the other comment went through OK, but if it did great!

Corrine said...

Thank you, LilBambi. {{{HUGS}}}

(I generally only check for comments to be approved once a day.)