- Windows Firewall integration – During setup, Microsoft Security Essentials will now ask if you would like to turn the Windows Firewall on or off.
- Enhanced protection for web-based threats – Microsoft Security Essentials now integrates with Internet Explorer to provide protection against web-based threats.
- New protection engine – The updated anti-malware engine offers enhanced detection and cleanup capabilities with better performance.
- Network inspection system* – Protection against network-based exploits is now built in to Microsoft Security Essentials.
*Windows XP Users Note: As explained when the MSE Beta was announced, the network inspection system feature is not enabled on Windows XP. The network inspection system requires the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) in order to run. WFP is only available in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
How to get MSE 2.0:
Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Select the correct version: MSE has both a 32 and 64-bit version. (To determine If your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows, click the Start button > Control Panel > System and Security > System. The system type is shown under System.)
- If you have a different antivirus software program already installed, it will be necessary to uninstall it before installing MSE. You may want to use AppRemover to remove the left-overs not removed during the normal uninstall process of the antivirus program.
- It is highly advised to install all Microsoft Security Updates prior to installing MSE.
- Do NOT install MSE on an already infected system. If you need assistance removing malware from your computer, seek help from a by trained analyst. A a fairly comprehensive list is available here: Malware Removal Help Sites.
- The Installation process is essentially the same as for the original release, described in this tutorial.
Edit Addition: I have seen a lot of questions about the MSE software update in the forums. To check manually for the software update, click the triangle next to Help and select "Check for software updates" as illustrated below:
Note the addition of the Network Inspection System Engine:
Security Essentials Version: 2.0.650.0Edit Note: Fellow MVP, Alan Burchill, published a new post for Group Policy for MSE Version 2 to support its new features: Group Policy for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0
Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8107.0
Engine Version: 1.1.6402.0
Antivirus definition: 1.95.1960.0
Antispyware definition: 1.95.1960.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.5854.0
Network Inspection System Definition Version: 126.96.36.199
Clubhouse Tags: Clubhouse, family, How-to, antivirus, Microsoft, Windows, Security, Updates, Information,