Adobe has released Version 126.96.36.1996 of Adobe Flash Player for Microsoft Windows and Macintosh and Version 188.8.131.529 for Linux. The updates are to address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Adobe AIR has been updated to Version 20.0.260.
Release date: February 9, 2016
Vulnerability identifier: APSB16-04
Priority: See table below
CVE number: CVE-2016-0964, CVE-2016-0965, CVE-2016-0966, CVE-2016-0967, CVE-2016-0968, CVE-2016-0969, CVE-2016-0970, CVE-2016-0971, CVE-2016-0972, CVE-2016-0973, CVE-2016-0974, CVE-2016-0975, CVE-2016-0976, CVE-2016-0977, CVE-2016-0978, CVE-2016-0979, CVE-2016-0980, CVE-2016-0981, CVE-2016-0982, CVE-2016-0983, CVE-2016-0984, CVE-2016-0985
Platform: Windows, Macintosh and Linux
Warning: Although Adobe suggests downloading the update from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, that link includes a pre-checked option to install unnecessary extras, such as McAfee Scan Plus or Google Drive. If you use the download center, uncheck any unnecessary extras.
- Non-IE Plugin (Opera, Firefox, Etc.): http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_20_plugin.exe
- Flash Player For Internet Explorer, Windows 7 and earlier: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_20_active_x.exe
- Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge: Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows RT 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows 10 Version 1511: Adobe Flash Player is now a security bulletin rather than a security advisory and is distributed via the normal Windows Update channel.
- Flash Player Uninstaller: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe
- Adobe AIR: http://get.adobe.com/air/
- If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to uncheck any optional downloads that you do not want. Any pre-checked option is not needed for the Flash Player update.
- Uncheck any toolbar offered with Adobe products if not wanted.
- If you use alternate browsers, it is necessary to install the update for both Internet Explorer as well as the update for alternate browsers.
- The separate 32-bit and 64-bit uninstallers have been replaced with a single uninstaller.
Verify InstallationTo verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.
Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player for Android, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Adobe Flash Player x.x.
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...