Adobe has released Version 184.108.40.206 of Adobe Flash Player for Windows and Macintosh. Version information for Linux and the Extended Release is available in the Release Notes.
These updates address vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Details of the vulnerabilities are included in the below-referenced Security Bulletin.
New Features are documented in the Release Notes, referenced below. Of interest to many will be the Improved Flash Player Install Process:
"With Flash Player 18, in the vast majority of cases, the installer will no longer display a dialog to shut down the currently running browsers or applications that are using Flash Player!
Once the installation is completed, you will be notified that the browser may need to be restarted to use the newly installed version. This requirement depends on your browser’s ability to see the new version. Either way, Flash will continue to work and you can easily force the new version to appear by simply restarting your browser when it’s convenient for you."
Release date: June 10, 2015
Vulnerability identifier: APSB15-11
CVE number: CVE-2015-3096, CVE-2015-3097, CVE-2015-3098, CVE-2015-3099, CVE-2015-3100, CVE-2015-3101, CVE-2015-3102, CVE-2015-3103, CVE-2015-3104, CVE-2015-3105, CVE-2015-3106, CVE-2015-3107, CVE-2015-3108
Platform: All Platforms
- Users of the Adobe Flash Player desktop runtime for Windows and Macintosh should update to Adobe Flash Player 220.127.116.11. The current version of Adobe AIR is 18.104.22.168.
- Users of the Adobe Flash Player Extended Support Release should update to Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.1242.
- Users of Adobe Flash Player for Linux should update to Adobe Flash Player 126.96.36.1996.
- Adobe Flash Player installed with Google Chrome, as well as Internet Explorer on Windows 8.x, will automatically update to the current version.
- The latest version of Adobe AIR for Android is 188.8.131.52 and earlier versions, available by downloading it from the Android Marketplace by browsing to it on a mobile phone.
Flash Player Update InstructionsIt is recommended that you either use the auto-update mechanism within the product when prompted or the direct download links. The problem with the auto-update mechanism is that it can take a few days to finally provide the update and up to a week if using the "Notify me to install updates" setting.
Flash Player Auto-Update
The update settings for Flash Player versions 10.3 and above can found in the Advanced tab of the Flash Player Settings Manager. The locations are as follows:
- Windows: click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Flash Player
- Macintosh: System Preferences (under Other) click Flash Player
- Linux Gnome: System > Preferences > Adobe Flash Player
- Linux KDE: System Settings > Adobe Flash Player
Flash Player Direct Download Links
Warning: Although Adobe suggests downloading the update from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, that link includes a pre-checked option to install unnecessary extras, such as McAfee Scan Plus or Google Drive. If you use the download center, uncheck any unnecessary extras.
- Non-IE Plugin (Opera, Firefox, Etc.): http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_18_plugin.exe
- Flash Player For Internet Explorer, Windows 7 and earlier: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_18_active_x.exe
Internet Explorer, Windows 8 and above: Microsoft updated Security Advisory 2755801. If you do not have Automatic Updates enabled, the Flash Player update can be downloaded from Microsoft Security Advisory: Update for Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 10: July 9, 2013.
- Flash Player Uninstaller: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe
- Adobe AIR: http://get.adobe.com/air/
- If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to uncheck any optional downloads that you do not want. Any pre-checked option is not needed for the Flash Player update.
- Uncheck any toolbar offered with Adobe products if not wanted.
- If you use alternate browsers, it is necessary to install the update for both Internet Explorer as well as the update for alternate browsers.
- The separate 32-bit and 64-bit uninstallers have been replaced with a single uninstaller.
Verify InstallationTo verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.
Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player for Android, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Adobe Flash Player x.x.
- Adobe Priority Ratings
- AIR Download Center
- Security Bulletin: Security Bulletin
- Release Notes: Flash Player® 18 AIR® 18