Microsoft released four (4) bulletins. Two of the bulletins are identified as Critical with the other two as Important.
The security update provided through MS14-017 addresses the Microsoft Word issue described in Security Advisory 2953095. If the Fix it solution was installed on your computer, install the update first and then disable the Fix it.
|Disable Fix it|
- MS14-017 -- Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Word and Office Web Apps Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2949660)
- MS14-018 -- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2950467)
- MS14-019 -- Vulnerability in Windows File Handling Component Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2922229)
- MS14-020 -- Vulnerability in Microsoft Publisher Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2950145)
MSRTMicrosoft released an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services, and the Download Center. Included in the update is detection for Win32/Ramdo and Win32/Kilim.
Windows XP and Windows 8.1As has been widely publicized, support ends for Windows XP and Office 2003 today. Thus, this will be the last security updates for those products. See Tim Rains article, The Countdown Begins: Support for Windows XP Ends on April 8, 2014.
Also note that effective after today, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available. This includes automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download. Note, however, that definitions will be available until July 15, 2015. See Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP.
Windows 8.1 users note: Windows 8.1 users: It's time to move to Windows 8.1 Update
The following additional information is provided in the Security Bulletin:
- The affected software listed have been tested to determine which versions are affected. Other versions are past their support life cycle. To determine the support life cycle for your software version, visit Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
- Security solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security Troubleshooting and Support
- Help protect your computer that is running Windows from viruses and malware: Virus Solution and Security Center
- Local support according to your country: International Support
- MSRC: The April 2014 Security Updates
- TechNet: Microsoft Security Bulletin for April 2014
- Support is ending for Windows XP - Microsoft Windows
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...