Adobe has released bug and security updates for Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and Shockwave Player for Windows, Macintosh and Linux.
With today's Windows Update, Internet Explorer 10 and 11 in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are also updated. Windows RT must obtain the update from Windows Update. Google Chrome will be automatically updated.
Release date: December 10, 2013
Vulnerability identifier: APSB13-28
CVE number: CVE-2013-5331, CVE-2013-5332
Platform: All Platforms
Update InformationThe newest versions are as follows:
Windows and Macintosh: 11.9.900.170
Adobe AIR: 184.108.40.2060
Flash Player Update InstructionsWarning: Although Adobe suggests downloading the update from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, that link includes a pre-checked option to install unnecessary extras, such as McAfee Scan Plus or Google Drive. If you use the download center, uncheck any unnecessary extras.
It is recommended that you either use the auto-update mechanism within the product when prompted, or my preference, the direct download links.
- Non-IE (Opera, Firefox, Etc.): http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin.exe
- Windows XP, Vista and 7:
Flash Player For Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10, 11: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x.exe
Windows 8 and 8.1:
Flash Player for Internet Explorer 10 and 11: Microsoft updated Security Advisory 2755801. If you do not have Automatic Updates enabled, the Flash Player update can be downloaded from Microsoft Security Advisory: Update for Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 10: July 9, 2013.
- Flash Player Uninstaller: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe
- If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to uncheck any optional downloads that you do not want. Any pre-checked option is not needed for the Flash Player update.
- Uncheck any toolbar offered with Adobe products if not wanted.
- If you use alternate browsers, it is necessary to install the update for both Internet Explorer as well as the update for alternate browsers.
- The separate 32-bit and 64-bit uninstallers have been replaced with a single uninstaller.
The latest version for Adobe Flash Player for Android is available by downloading it from the Android Marketplace by browsing to it on a mobile phone.
Verify InstallationTo verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.
Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player for Android, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Adobe Flash Player x.x.
Adobe Shockwave Player
This update addresses vulnerabilities that could allow an attacker, who successfully exploits these vulnerabilities, to run malicious code on the affected system.
Although I have yet to need Shockwave Player on this computer, there are still many people who use it. If you have Shockwave Player installed, please update to the latest version.
Release date: December 10, 2013
Vulnerability identifier: APSB13-29
CVE number: CVE-2013-5333, CVE-2013-5334
Platform: Windows and Macintosh
The newest version 220.127.116.11 is available here: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/. As usual, watch for any pre-checked add-ons not needed for the update.
- Adobe Priority Ratings
- AIR Download Center
- PSIRT Blog Post
- Release Notes: Flash Player® 11.9 AIR® 3.9