Although Apple is planning a Mac OS X software update that is expected to automatically find and remove Mac Defender malware and its known variants, affected Mac users do not need to wait for the update. In the meantime, Mac users are advised to consider the following:
- For Safari users, uncheck the default setting "Open safe files after downloading" on your Mac.
- In the event you fell for the scam and purchased the fake program, contact your credit card company.
- Watch for the promised update to be issued by Apple.
- Install an antivirus software. (Sophos offers a free antivirus software for Mac home users.)
- Mac Security: Mac Security Removal Guide
- Mac Defender: Mac Defender Removal Guide
- Mac Protector: Mac Protector Removal Guide
- Mac Guard: Mac Guard Removal Guide
For background information on the Mac Removal Tool, see Introducing the BleepingComputer Mac Rogue Remover Tool.