Adobe has released Version 188.8.131.52 of Adobe Flash Player for Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, Chrome and Linux.
These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Note in particular that an exploit for CVE-2016-7892 exists in the wild, and is being used in limited, targeted attacks against users running Internet Explorer (32-bit) on Windows.
Release date: December 13, 2016
Vulnerability identifier: APSB16-39
CVE number: CVE-2016-7867, CVE-2016-7868, CVE-2016-7869, CVE-2016-7870, CVE-2016-7871, CVE-2016-7872, CVE-2016-7873, CVE-2016-7874, CVE-2016-7875, CVE-2016-7876, CVE-2016-7877, CVE-2016-7878, CVE-2016-7879, CVE-2016-7880, CVE-2016-7881, CVE-2016-7890, CVE-2016-7892
Platform: Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Chrome OS
Warning: Although Adobe suggests downloading the update from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, that link includes a pre-checked option to install unnecessary extras, such as McAfee Scan Plus or Google Drive. If you use the download center, uncheck any unnecessary extras.
- Non-IE Plugin (Opera, Firefox, Etc.): http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_24_plugin.exe
- Flash Player For Internet Explorer, Windows 7 and earlier: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_24_active_x.exe
- Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge: Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows RT 8.1 and Windows 10: Adobe Flash Player is now a security bulletin rather than a security advisory and is distributed via the normal Windows Update channel.
- Flash Player Uninstaller: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe
- Adobe AIR: http://get.adobe.com/air/
- If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to uncheck any optional downloads that you do not want. Any pre-checked option is not needed for the Flash Player update.
- Uncheck any toolbar offered with Adobe products if not wanted.
- If you use alternate browsers, it is necessary to install the update for both Internet Explorer as well as the update for alternate browsers.
- The separate 32-bit and 64-bit uninstallers have been replaced with a single uninstaller.
Verify InstallationTo verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.
Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player for Android, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Adobe Flash Player x.x.
- Adobe Priority Ratings
- AIR Download Center
- Release Notes: Flash Player® 24 AIR® 24
- Security Bulletin
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...