Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player Active X version 188.8.131.52 and Plugin version 184.108.40.206 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh and Adobe Flash Player 220.127.116.116 and earlier versions for Linux.
These updates address vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. The updates to Flash Player are rated Critical.
Internet Explorer in Windows 8x systems will be updated via Windows Update. Windows RT must obtain the update from Windows Update. Google Chrome will be automatically updated.
Update InformationThe newest versions are as follows:
ActiveX for IE and Macintosh version: 18.104.22.168Users of Adobe AIR 22.214.171.124 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh should update to the Adobe AIR 126.96.36.1993.
Flash Player Update InstructionsWarning: Although Adobe suggests downloading the update from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, that link includes a pre-checked option to install unnecessary extras, such as McAfee Scan Plus or Google Drive. If you use the download center, uncheck any unnecessary extras.
It is recommended that you either use the auto-update mechanism within the product when prompted, or my preference, the direct download links.
- Non-IE Plugin (Opera, Firefox, Etc.): http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_15_plugin.exe
- Flash Player For Internet Explorer, Windows 7 and earlier: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_15_active_x.exe
Internet Explorer, Windows 8 and above: Microsoft updated Security Advisory 2755801. If you do not have Automatic Updates enabled, the Flash Player update can be downloaded from Microsoft Security Advisory: Update for Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 10: July 9, 2013.
- Flash Player Uninstaller: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe
- Adobe AIR: http://get.adobe.com/air/
- If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to uncheck any optional downloads that you do not want. Any pre-checked option is not needed for the Flash Player update.
- Uncheck any toolbar offered with Adobe products if not wanted.
- If you use alternate browsers, it is necessary to install the update for both Internet Explorer as well as the update for alternate browsers.
- The separate 32-bit and 64-bit uninstallers have been replaced with a single uninstaller.
- Users of the Adobe Flash Player Extended Support Release should update to Adobe Flash Player 188.8.131.52.
The latest version for Adobe Flash Player for Android is available by downloading it from the Android Marketplace by browsing to it on a mobile phone.
Verify InstallationTo verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.
Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player for Android, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Adobe Flash Player x.x.
- Adobe Priority Ratings
- AIR Download Center
- Security Bulletin: APSB14-22
- Release Notes: Flash Player® 15 AIR® 15