Microsoft released four (4) bulletins. One of the bulletins is identified as Critical with the remaining three as Important.
The updates address 42 Common Vulnerabilities & Exposures (CVEs) in Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer, .NET Framework, and Lync Server. Reminder to those who have problems with .NET updates to install separately with a restart between other updates.
- MS14-052 -- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2977629)
- MS14-053 -- Vulnerability in .NET Framework Could Allow Denial of Service (2990931)
- MS14-054 -- Vulnerability in Windows Task Scheduler Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2988948)
- MS14-055 -- Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Lync Server Could Allow Denial of Service (2990928)
- The following Security Advisories have been revised:
- MSRT -- Microsoft released an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services, and the Download Center. The updated version includes the Zemot family of trojan downloaders. Additional details ave available in the MMPC blog post.
- Internet Explorer -- For additional information about the included update for blocking out-of-date ActiveX controls see the TechNet article, Out-of-date ActiveX control blocking.
- Windows 8.1 -- Non-security new features and improvements for Windows 8.1. are now included with the second Tuesday of the month updates. Additional information is available at August updates for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Windows XP -- Although Microsoft has stopped providing Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP, definitions will be available until July 15, 2015. See Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP. The MSRT still works on Windows XP.
The following additional information is provided in the Security Bulletin:
- The affected software listed have been tested to determine which versions are affected. Other versions are past their support life cycle. To determine the support life cycle for your software version, visit Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
- Security solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security Troubleshooting and Support
- Help protect your computer that is running Windows from viruses and malware: Virus Solution and Security Center
- Local support according to your country: International Support
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...