In the event you missed the announcement, Windows Live Messenger was retired on March 15, 2013. In its various iterations from 1999 to 2013 the Messenger client has had a long life but now is on the way out, replaced by Skype.
April 8, 2013, marks the beginning of the upgrade to English-language clients, reportedly ending somewhere around the end of the month with Brazilian Portuguese-language clients, although it may take longer than reported.
In addition to this change not affecting China, it is important to understand that it is not the Messenger service that is integrated in Windows Phone and Xbox and used by third-party programs that is ending, rather it is the desktop client.
Updating to SkypeThe first step in updating Messenger to Skype is, as expected, downloading the latest version of Skype. As with any software installation, it is important to watch the screens during the installation process rather than blindly clicking through the process.
Things You May See During Skype Installation:
- Bing: There may also be an option to make Bing your default search engine. If you do not wish to make Bing your default search engine, uncheck that option.
To view the series of screens I saved when updating Windows Live Messenger to Skype several months ago, you can see the uploaded collection at Updating from Messenger to Skype.
Categories and GroupsFor users of categories and groups in Messenger, note that they do not migrate to Skype. If you have set up multiple categories and/or groups, you may want to either make a list or a screen copy of the members. Then, after updating to Skype, do the following:
- Right-click on the contacts tab.
- Select "Create new list" and name the list.
- Right-click your contacts name to add to the newly created list.
Reminder: No emergency calls with SkypeFor users of Skype calling, please remember that Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and cannot be used for emergency calling.
- Download Skype: From Messenger to Skype
- Finding your way around Skype (Windows desktop)
- Getting started with Skype (Windows desktop)
- Getting started with Skype (Mac)