Topping the list is Oracle Java, followed by Adobe products, particularly Adobe Flash Player. Also included in the list are two Apple products, Quick Time and iTunes. The list of vulnerabilities can be found on the Securelist, "IT Threat Evolution: Q3 2012", here.
- Continue installing Microsoft Security Updates: Windows Update - Keep your PC up to date
- Use a software firewall: Firewall: frequently asked questions
- Keep your antivirus software updated: Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows
- Consider uninstalling Oracle Java: Do You Need Java?
- Allow Adobe Flash Player to Autoupdate: Adobe - Flash Player : Help - About Updating Adobe Flash Player.
-- With Firefox, use NoScript or Flashblock which also blocks Macromedia Shockware.
-- AdobeBlockIE has not been updated recently but works with Internet Explorer.
- Consider an alternative to Adobe Reader, such as Sumatra PDF.
If your computer does get infected or you need assistance determining if it is up to date, post the requested logs for review in the Analysis and Malware Removal forum at LandzDown or in the Security Arena at Sysnative.com.