Adobe released critical security updates addressing vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat.
The updates address vulnerabilities in the software that could cause the application to crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
Acrobat and Reader users can update to the latest version using the built-in updater, by clicking “Help” and then “Check for Updates.” The Adobe Reader update for Windows is available from http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/. Even better to use is the FTP download site: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.4/ with no risk of add-ons.
- Release date: August 14, 2012
- Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-16
- Priority rating: Critical
- CVE numbers: CVE-2012-1525, CVE-2012-2049, CVE-2012-2050, CVE-2012-2051, CVE-2012-4147, CVE-2012-4148, CVE-2012-4149, CVE-2012-4150, CVE-2012-4151, CVE-2012-4152, CVE-2012-4153, CVE-2012-4154, CVE-2012-4155, CVE-2012-4156, CVE-2012-4157, CVE-2012-4158, CVE-2012-4159, CVE-2012-4160, CVE-2012-4161, CVE-2012-4162
- Platform: Windows and Macintosh
Affected software versions
- Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) and earlier 10.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Reader 9.5.1 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Acrobat X (10.1.3) and earlier 10.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Acrobat 9.5.1 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Security Advisory: Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat
- PSIRT Blog: Adobe Security Bulletins Posted