Adobe Flash Player was updated to address critical security vulnerabilities. According to the Adobe PSIRT blog posting,
"There are reports that the object confusion vulnerability (CVE-2012-0779) addressed in this update is being exploited in the wild in active targeted attacks designed to trick the user into clicking on a malicious file delivered in an email message. The exploit targets Flash Player on Internet Explorer for Windows only."
Update InformationThe newest version for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Solaris is 18.104.22.168.
Release date: May 4, 2012
Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-09
Priority: See table below
CVE number: CVE-2012-0779
Platform: All Platforms
Priority and Severity ratings
Adobe categorizes these updates with the following priority ratings and recommends users update their installations to the newest versions:
|Adobe Flash Player||22.214.171.124||Windows||
|126.96.36.199||Macintosh and Linux||
|188.8.131.52||Android 3.x and 2.x|
Flash Player Update InstructionsAdobe Flash Player for Android
The latest version for Adobe Flash Player for Android is available by downloading it from the Android Marketplace by browsing to it on a mobile phone.
Flash Player for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Solaris
Although Adobe suggests downloading the update from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center or by using the auto-update mechanism within the product when prompted, if you prefer, direct download links are available.
- If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to uncheck the optional McAfee Security Plus box. It is not needed for the Flash Player update.
- Uncheck any toolbar offered with Adobe products if not wanted.
- If you use alternate browsers, it is necessary to install the update for both Internet Explorer as well as the update for alternate browsers.
- 32-bit: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.exe
- 64-bit: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe
Non-IE (Opera, Firefox, Etc.)
- 32-bit: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit.exe
- 64-bit: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin_64bit.exe
Flash Player Uninstallers:
32-Bit Uninstaller: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_32bit.exe
64-Bit Unisntaller: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_64bit.exe
*HatTip: ky331 for FTP download links.
Verify InstallationTo verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.
Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
To verify the version of Adobe Flash Player for Android, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Adobe Flash Player x.x.
When Adobe Flash Player is updated, it is recommended that Adobe AIR version be checked as well. Go to Adobe AIR Help to determine the version of Adobe AIR runtime installed.
- Adobe Priority Ratings
- Adobe Security Advisory: Security update available for Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe PSIRT Blog: Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (APSB12-09)