Adobe released updates to both Adobe Flash and Shockwave Players. The updates address critical vulnerabilities to both products. Vulnerability and update information details for both products is included below.
As described in the Security Bulletin for Adobe Flash Player, the critical vulnerabilities addressed in the update could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
It is also noted that the update addresses a cross-site scripting vulnerability in Internet Explorer on Windows systems that is being exploited in the wild.
Release date: February 15, 2012
Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-03
CVE number: CVE-2012-0751, CVE-2012-0752, CVE-2012-0753, CVE-2012-0754, CVE-2012-0755, CVE-2012-0756, CVE-2012-0767
Platform: All Platforms
Flash Player Update InstructionsAdobe Flash Player for Android
The latest version for Adobe Flash Player for Android is available by downloading it from the Android Marketplace by browsing to it on a mobile phone.
Flash Player for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Solaris
Although Adobe suggests downloading the update from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center or by using the auto-update mechanism within the product when prompted, if you prefer, direct download links are available.
- If you use the Adobe Flash Player Download Center, be careful to uncheck the optional McAfee Security Plus box. It is not needed for the Flash Player update.
- Uncheck any toolbar offered with Adobe products if not wanted.
- If you use alternate browsers, it is necessary to install the update for both Internet Explorer as well as the update for alternate browsers.
Flash Player 11 (32-Bit)
- IE 32-Bit: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.exe
- Non-IE 32-Bit (Opera, Firefox etc): http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit.exe
- IE 64-Bit: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe
- Non-IE 64-Bit (Opera Firefox etc): http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin_64bit.exe
Verify InstallationTo verify the Adobe Flash Player version number installed on your computer, go to the About Flash Player page, or right-click on content running in Flash Player and select "About Adobe Flash Player" from the menu.
Do this for each browser installed on your computer.
The update to Adobe Shockwave Player for both Windows and Macintosh systems addresses vulnerabilities that could allow an attacker, who successfully exploits these vulnerabilities, to run malicious code on the affected system. The vulnerabilities include a heap overflow vulnerability and multiple memory corruption vulnerabilities.
Release date: February 14, 2012
Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-02
CVE number: CVE-2012-0757, CVE-2012-0758, CVE-2012-0759, CVE-2012-0760, CVE-2012-0761, CVE-2012-0762, CVE-2012-0763, CVE-2012-0764, CVE-2012-0766
Platform: Windows and Macintosh
Update InformationThe newest version of Shockwave Player 184.108.40.2064 is available here: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/.
- Please remember to uncheck any unwanted 3rd party toolbars or other programs during installation.
- For information on how to disable the auto-update setting in Shockwave Player, see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/166/tn_16683.html. (This must be set every time Shockwave Player is updated if you do not want auto-updating.)
Verify InstallationTo test the Adobe Shockwave Player installation on your computer, go to the Test Authorware Web Player page.
- APSB12-03: Security update available for Adobe Flash Player
- APSB12-02: Security update available for Adobe Shockwave Player
- Adobe PSIRT Blog