Apparently, after installing Windows Live Essentials or the Bing Bar, you will be asked if you want to help Microsoft improve their products. Strange that I just got the pop-up today. I have had the Windows Live Essentials on this computer for some time and the Bing Bar was on, off, back on, off, again.
From the "Learn More" link, I discovered that the purpose is to improve Windows Live and the Bing Bar. If you see this "pop-up" it is very important to note a few important points:
- Participation is complete voluntary. you can uncheck one, two or all three options.
- No data will be collected without your agreement to participate (leave the last box checked).
- All collected data is confidential.
What if you decide to opt-out after you agreed to the data collection? You can change the setting for Windows Live Essentials by changing the "Help improve Windows Live" setting in the options of any Windows Live program.
Follow the steps below to stop participating in the Bing Bar program:
- Launch your browser.
- On the right side of Bing Bar, click the Toolbar options button .
- Click Quality, select No, I don't want to participate, and then click OK.