- Like 2006 and 2007, the year began with the thrill of having been awarded Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP). Again, I sit in wonder as to whether I will be re-awarded in 2009.
- Kodak had a bit of magic as well, having Won Three CES 2008 Awards, Unveilded the 50MP CCD Image Sensor and received numerous aclaims throughout the year for various products, including the new KODAK Zi6 Pocket Video Camera.
I look forward to favorable results from Kodak Taking Action Against Samsung and LG For Patent Infringement.
- The addition of opt-out (pre-checked) toolbars and add-ins continued in 2008 with these and other updates:
Grisoft/AVG Version 8 Includes Yahoo Search Bar
Sun Java SE Update 5 (And another Toolbar)
SunJava Update Includes MSN Toolbar
- History was made with the rollout of Firefox 3 achieving Over 8 Million Downloads.
- Microsoft made quite a stir in the tech world at PDC 2008 with an advance look at the pre-beta version of Windows 7 and Windows Azure, a cloud-based service.
- Thanks to friends, I managed to complete the Cyber Security Awareness Tip of the Day series, providing a new "tip of the day" during the month of October.
Rather than a prediction, I anticipate that in 2009 we will see the final upgrade to IE8 and the RTM (release to manufacturing) of Windows 7.
- In the security forums, we continued to clean users computers of the various rogues with convincing names like MalwareCrush, SpywareRemover, Awola Antispy-Spyware, XP Security Center, Antivirus 2009, Total Secure 2009, MS Antivirus, SpyProtector, Antivirus360, and a myriad of others, most of which are re-designs from the same families.
Of late, I have been spending a considerable amount of time on the forums dealing with the very nasty "TDSS" rootkit infection, described by G. N. White on the SANS Diary as More "Fake AV" Incarnations Making The Rounds.
Via SecurityProNews is MessageLabs list of the "Naughty Nine" Top Cybercrimes Of 2008.
- Uncharacteristically, Microsoft issued two out-of-band security updates dealing with serious vulnerabilities.
- Not only did 2008 start with a bit of magic, it ended that way too when I won the HP Magic Giveaway from Gear Diary. The magic continued because family members were able come home for Christmas for the first time in a number of years. My friend Pat would have been very excited about both events, but particularly the visit by family. I wish he was still with us to celebrate his birthday today.
The Irish Blessing below holds a special meaning to me so again I share it with each of you, accompanied by warmest wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2009. May your days be filled with wine and roses.
May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!
Happy New Year!
Remember - "A day without laughter is a day wasted."
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart...