Although keeping your computer software updated has been included in previous posts, in view of the seriousness of the recent Out-of-Band Critical Update MS08-067, please consider this additional information.
The following is what has been reported that TrojanSpy:Win32/Gimmiv.A gathers from infected computers:
- User Name
- Computer Name
- Network Adapters / IP Addresses
- Installed com objects
- Installed programs and installed patches
- Recently opened documents
- Outlook Express and MSN Messenger credentials
- Protected Storage credentials
There are no visual effects informing about the infection. It has been confirmed that the exploits can download a malicious .exe automatically. The most likely methods being used are drive-by downloads and fake codec Web sites.
October 27 Tip of the Day
Get the patch at Microsoft Update: