For those WinPatrol users who have not upgraded to Windows Vista and prefer the original icon (as well as users of RogueRemover) you will be happy to know that BillP Studios Always Listens.
"Our new build v12.0.2007.1 has two very minor changes.Note: The above registry script will not work with Firefox. Instead, use Internet Explorer or do the following:
1) If you’re using RogueRemover it apparently edits your HOSTS file and uses the IP address of 0.0.0.0 to block sites. The HijackPatrol log will now filter these entries out just like it does the local address 127.0.0.1 and others that might be added by the popular MVP Hosts project.
In English, unless your using RogueRemover, this change won’t affect you.
2) I have added an hidden option to allow the use of the original Scotty icon in the system tray. After downloading the new version, you’ll still need to run a registry script which is available at http://www.winpatrol.com/support/scottyicon.reg"
- First close WinPatrol -- right-click on Scotty in the System Tray and select "Exit Program".
- Next, copy/paste the text in the bold below into a new Notepad window.
- Save it somewhere easy to access, like the Desktop, as: scotty.reg
(You'll need change the 'Save As Type' to 'All Files').
- Once it's saved, go to scotty.reg and launch it. You'll be prompted with the message "Do you wish to merge this information into the registry?"
- Click "Yes". You should then get the message that it has successfully merged it into the registry.
- Navigate to your WinPatrol folder and restart the program.
(Default location: C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe)
Windows 98 Users
If you should still be using Win98 and are desperate to get the original Scotty back, you will need to manually edit the registry, as discovered by long-time WinPatrol user hewee. First, back up the registry. (For Win98 instructions go here.) Then follow hewee's instructions:
Click Start > Run > Type regeditNice going, hewee!
Navigate to the following:
Right-click and select New "String Value" which adds the new "String Value" to the right side as "New Value #1"
Rename "New Value #1" to "TrayIcon".
Click "TrayIcon" and in the "Value Data" box enter "159" (without the quotes).