On Thursday, January 18th, 2007 Microsoft issued a targeted re-release of the MS07-002 update for Excel 2000.
This bulletin has been re-released to re-offer the security update to customers with Microsoft Excel 2000. The security update previously did not correctly process the phonetic information that is embedded in files that are created by using Excel in the Korean, Chinese, or Japanese executable mode. For additional information see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 931183.
This re-release only affects Excel 2000. Later versions of Excel (2002, 2003, Excel for Mac) are not affected.
• Customers running Excel 2000 are encouraged to download the re-released update through Office Update or the Download Center. Because the update affects only Excel 2000, the targeted re-release will not be automatically delivered through Automatic Update or Microsoft Update.
• Customers who are not running Excel 2000 need take no action regarding this targeted re-release.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-002: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Excel Could Allow Remote Code Execution (927198): http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS07-002.mspx
- Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 931183 - Excel 2000 does not open some files after you install security update 925524 that is documented in security bulletin MS07-002: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931183
- Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 927198 - MS07-002: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Excel could allow remote code execution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927198
- MSRC Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/