It is important to note that Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS) is slated for retirement on 6 December 2006. The update next week will be the supported by SUS. For more information on WSUS, please see the link at the bottom of the notice copied below.
The following suggestions on what you can do before “Patch Tuesday” are from Calendar of Updates:
Microsoft Technet has complete details of today's Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification.
- Undo any 3rd party work-around or any work-around that you did on affected system or components in Windows that is going to be patched
- Create a backup of your good system (see also: System Back-up) and/or ensure that System Restore service is enabled, actually running, working and not corrupted or in the good state. Note: System Restore is available in Windows Millennium (Me) and the Windows XP (Home and Professional) Operating Systems.
To check whether System Restore is enabled and actually running:
Note: You may also access the Services Console by going to Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services.
- Type services.msc
- Click OK button
- Locate System Restore Service in the list of services and verify that the status is “Started”.
that Microsoft is planning to release on 14 November 2006.
• One Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft XML Core Services. The highest Maximum Severity rating for this is Critical. This update will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. This update will require a restart.
• Five Microsoft Security Bulletins affecting Microsoft Windows. The highest Maximum Severity rating for these is Critical. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and the Enterprise Scan Tool. Some of these updates will require a restart.
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
• Microsoft will release an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services and the Download Center.
Note that this tool will NOT be distributed using Software Update Services (SUS).
Non-security High Priority updates on MU, WU, WSUS and SUS
• Microsoft will release No NON-SECURITY High-Priority Updates for Windows on Windows Update (WU) and Software Update Services (SUS).
• Microsoft will release two NON-SECURITY High-Priority Updates on Microsoft Update (MU) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
NOTE: Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS) is slated for retirement on 6 December 2006. The November 2006 Monthly Bulletin release is the last Monthly Bulletin release that will be supported by SUS. SUS customers are urged to complete their upgrades to Windows Server Update Services 2.0 (WSUS) before the December 2006 Monthly Bulletin release on 12 December 2006. For more information on WSUS, please see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/default.mspx.